This week, Stephanie Pollard has inspired us to make delicious smelling fragrance stones for our houses - and with all this time on our hands, we though, well, why not? Her directions are simple and easy to follow and far from toxic or dangerous - so your kids can help out, too!
What are fragrance stones? These are homemade rocks infused with scent, which you can put in draws, cupboards, suitcases etc.
Of course making these means you need to already have essential oils with you - for those of you who don't, fret not, this DIY article will always be here to refer back to!
- 1 ½ cups white flour
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water, brought to a boil
- 1 tablespoon essential oil or fragrance blend
- 2 tablespoons dried herbs or flower petals if desired
- 2 teaspoons mica or clay powder for color
- Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Add fragrance oil and coloring to boiling water and pour over the dry ingredients.
- Stir until a ball of dough is formed.
- Knead the dough until it's smooth and the color is evenly distributed.
- Pinch pieces of the dough off the main ball and roll into small balls. You can make them any size you like but I kept mine around 2-inches in length.
- Sprinkle dried herbs or flower petals on top of the stones and gently press in.
- Let dry completely before using or giving as gifts.