We are slowly gearing into Summer, and with an upcoming weather change, we have the perfect snack for you to make! These light and airy muffins with that citrus zing are truly delicious! These fluffy clouds are light and moist on the inside and have that beautiful crisp golden-brown top. With the perfect amount of sweetness combined with notes of fresh lemon, these muffins are perfect to serve at your next tea party or brunch!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 Mins
Makes: 12 Muffins
2 cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
125g butter, softened
1 cup yoghurt
- Heat oven to 180 C
- Place muffin liners in the muffin pan.
- Grate the zest and squeeze the juice of one lemon. Cut Zest Strips from the second lemon and squeeze out juice from the second lemon and reserve the strips for decoration.
- Mix flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and grated lemon zest with the alt in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in another bowl till it is light and creamy. Keep beating till the butter sugar mixture has doubled in quantity and has become a paler colour.
- Beat in the eggs, the lemon juice and yoghurt till everything has combines and pour mixture into the dry ingredients mixing bowl.
- Fold in the mixture so that everything has been mixed well and air has been incorporated into the batter so that once its baked it will be light and airy. The yoghurt that has been added into the mixture is so that the muffins are moist, and batter won’t dry out when it's popped into the oven.
- Spoon the dough into paper cups till about ¾ full as these will rise high.
- Bake on the middle shelf for about 20-25 minutes just until golden brown or if the tops of the muffins spring to touch.
- Take out of oven and allow to cool completely under a fan before you decorate with strips of lemon zest.